Friday, June 17, 2011

"New Mexico" (watch for it on the next album...)

I had a dream last night that Michael Jackson faked his death to induce Johnny Depp to cut an acoustic Django-style jazz album. When that failed he hired me to create my own album so the style would become popular again.

I only mention this because last week we played in West Hollywood's Viper Room, formerly owned by the jazz-guitarist-turned-pirate. My wee niece said that if I saw Mr Depp to tell him she thinks he's cool.

Dickie B. of Sonora Recorders (also long-time-family-friend and father's-former-roommate) turned up at the gig and offered his services to us for a couple hours Saturday morning, so we stayed a bit longer in LA--much to the consternation of our wallets--shot another music video, and recorded a song I'd written the previous Thursday and of which I don't mind saying I'm quite proud...

...Massachusetts has a wonderful story,
Arizona is rugged and free,
But the sand and snow of New Mexico
Is today what's calling me...

It's more Denver than Django, but I do believe it's the song that will win Depp over to his own recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment