
Two brothers from Portland, OR have done remarkably well with their brewing business - one little cafe purchased in 1975 has turned into a multi-property chain of 57 (and counting) brewpubs, theatre pubs, microbreweries, historic hotels, and music venues. There is an onsite historian whose sole job is to collect information, photos and stories about the historic buildings the chain continues to occupy as well as answer your questions; every wall and flat surface is positively decked with original artwork from various muralists and portaiteers; they have probably the coolest website I've ever wasted an hour on (www.mcmenamins.com)...and I don't mind saying that through diligent persistence and a little luck, I wedged myself into a venue I call "The Tunnel" in Edgefield's Winery: It's a space about 40 feet long and 10 feet wide at the end of which the little musicians set up their stuff in a square section I refer to as "The Living Room." As there was a more local band playing outside, I was sure I'd be by myself for those 2 hours...when lo and behold, a face peeked around the corner, disappeared, then returned with drink, purse, phone and smile (this was my first friend, and I hope someday to give her a big hug and learn her name, for though she stayed for the entire show, was interactive and completely pleasant, I wasn't able to meet her before she left - so if you're reading this right now, First Friend, many thanks). She was shortly thereafter followed by four mid-westerners who sat in the tiny Living Room right in front of me, and who later brought back 2 other couples...and in-between a whole bevvy of folk wandered in and out and seemed to enjoy my musical supplements far more than I thought I should deserve. At the end I had played for an extra hour, observed no break, had played every song I could think of and was resorting to Disney covers (which we may poo-poo, but ha
ve you ever sat down and tried to learn a Disney tune on guitar? They're challenging, interesting, encouraging and soulful - Disney may have an unfortunately cheesy reputation, but for reals, mad props to their songwriters).
No comments:
Post a Comment